Utility patent application
- A utility patent protects a new and useful (functional) invention, and is the most common type of patent.
- I provide complete application drafting services as well as start to finish prosecution before the USPTO.
- To discuss the application process, contact me for a free initial consultation.
Design patent application
- A design patent protects the visual appearance of an invention (or a distinctive portion of the invention).
- Before beginning the process, you should have a photograph, 3D model, or drawing of your design.
- Contact me to discuss your specific design in more detail
Provisional patent application
- An informal application, containing a complete disclosure of the invention, to be followed by a non-provisional utility application within 1 year
- A provisional application may be appropriate if more time is needed to develop or market your invention.
- Provides patent pending status
- The application will never be examined, but its filing date can be used as a priority date for the follow-on application. (Very important under first-to-file rules!)
PCT (International) or foreign patent applications
- There is no such thing as a single 'International Patent'!
- Multiple strategies are available for obtaining patents around the world
- The timing of your international filings is critical, and the opportunity to patent outside the US may be lost if deadlines are missed
- Schedule a meeting to discuss your specific situation
- A search of prior art, including US and foreign patents and published applications, with my professional opinion on patentability of the invention.